- Sandon Estate
- Norton Estate
- Events Diary
- Contact us
Sandon Hall has been the ancestral home of the Harrowby family since 1776, when Nathaniel, 1st Baron Harrowby bought what was then a shooting lodge and had it transformed by the architect Samuel Wyatt into Sandon Hall
William Emes was commissioned to create the 50-acre formal gardens, complete with many unusual specimens, and the 400-acre park. Both the gardens and parkland are still regarded as one of the best examples of their type in the country.
Disaster struck Sandon in 1848, when a workman working on the roof left a blowtorch alight and the Hall caught fire. Luckily the blaze spread slowly, and many interior items were saved, but the structure of the Hall was so badly damaged that it had to be pulled down and rebuilt. The Estate Office and other outbuildings, also built by Wyatt, were far enough away from the fire and survived. They still stand today.
The renowned Scottish architect William Burn was instructed to re build after the fire and designed a new Hall in the neo-Jacobean style. Completed in 1854, it was built from pinkish white sandstone, although pollution from the Potteries in Stoke on Trent has given it its dark grey appearance of today.
The Hall today is still a family home with functions and events taking place in certain parts.